Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Total Dependence

Psalm 22:9 "Yet you brought me out of the womb; you made me trust in you, even at my mother’s breast."

Reading this verse I can't help but think/realize that we were MADE to trust in God.  We did not come into the world with the ability to protect our own lives, to provide food for ourselves, etc.  Yet the Lord knew what we needed and provided it.  He provided nourishment, protection, the love of parents.  God has been providing all we need from the beginning of our lives.  I find significance in knowing that God as Creator could have just created us one-by-one without having to be born, being adults perhaps without starting life with such dependence in every way. However, this is the way he chose to create us - in need of someone else to provide all we need.  And indeed HE is the sole provider - the one who provided parents, milk from our mothers, health in the womb.  When I stop to think about this I am encouraged.  God knows we need our home to sell.  He knows we need finances to be able to live in NJ to begin a church there.  He knows I need a job for student teaching and to help us financially as we start off.  He knows we need friends and fellowship.  He knows. He knows. He knows.  

I know many of you are also in seasons of life in which you need to trust the Lord for his provision as well.  Maybe you are in need of comfort, love, fellowship, a miracle in your marriage/family, financial provision, wellness, healing, etc.  Whatever it is let us all take comfort in the reality that we have a God who knows our needs and desires us to trust in Him. 

The Bible tells us Psalm 62:8 "Trust in God at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge."  

Refuge is defined as "protection or shelter, as from danger or hardship, a place providing protection or shelter, a source of help, relief, or comfort in times of trouble." (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/refuge) 

How amazing that God is our refuge! 

Recently, at a Rock staff meeting Dale Sutherland shared verses he found when doing a word study on the word "blessed." He shared that the word "blessed" can be used interchangeably with the word "happy."  

Read this truth from scripture:

Jeremiah 17:7 "But blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him."

Now read it this way: "But [happy] is the one who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him."

We are emotional people, we DO desire to be happy. Scripture says those who trust in the Lord and put their confidence in him will be happy.  And from our experiences I am sure we can all say this is true.  I know for me I am at peace and feel most happy when I am not trusting in myself but God and the promises and wisdom of scripture.  

Praises:
* Mike had a safe trip home from Louisville - thank you for your prayers!
* I made it to NJ safely  with peace in my heart from many prayers for me as anxiety had overwhelmed me at the start of my drive - thank you again prayer warriors!
* People have still been coming to view our home 

Prayer Requests:
*A buyer for our home this month
*Pray for me as I make face-to-face visits to schools I would like to teach at today  - pray for interviews and an English teaching position 
*Pray for Mike & the Rock students & volunteers as they are in the DR sharing the gospel and serving the poor
*Pray for continued provision - strength, endurance, joy, patience, financial, etc. 

Thank you prayer warriors! Thanking God for all of you!

No comments: